Calling all aspiring paddlers! Ripple Effect is hosting a newbie day!
Did you paddle on a Corporate Team at Lake Merritt or Treasure Island and want to see what it's like on an adult team? Have your friends starting turning in early on weekend nights because they have to get up early to go Lake Merced and you want to see what all the fuss is about? Do you think dragon boat is the same as crew and you can't understand why your coworker sighs loudly whenever you ask her/him about "rowing"?
Well, you're in luck! We're hosting a special day dedicated to brand new and novice paddlers, to give them a chance to get some (or some more) dragon boat experience. We'll hold this during our regularly scheduled practice, so we should be able to have a newbie boat practicing alongside our veteran boat, focusing on technique and the fundamentals and then maybe we'll swap people around for some fun paddling activities.
10:00AM - 10:30AM: Welcome and stretching
10:30AM - 12:00PM: Practice on the water
12:00PM - 12:15PM: Debrief
12:30 PM onward: Optional lunch with the team! (We'll pick a spot nearby.)
Here's a checklist of things to keep in mind for practice:
- Make sure to wear clothes that you won't be uncomfortable in if they get wet (usually dry fit athletic gear is good)
- Bring a change of clothing for after
- In terms of shoes, most people wear flip-flops or water shoes. You can also go barefoot. It's up to you, but your feet will get wet
- Bring a bottle of water to keep hydrated throughout practice
- Eat breakfast or something light before you come
- Have fun